There is SO much that goes into creating something. Generally one is inspired, and then the creative juices begin to flow. But when asked out of the blue to come up with something, and there is no other inspiration, that is very difficult.
A couple months ago I was asked to create a crocheted shawl that would be used as a Crochet-a-Long during the Alaskan cruise with the yarn shop in May 2015. No other guidelines other than the fact that it would require the use of a specific yarn from Cascade Yarns - their new line of Ultra Pima Fine. It is a cotton yarn. And the color of the yarn will be mixed and will match the theme of the cruise, which is something put out by Debbie Macomber's office.
So, there you have it. Design a shawl, using this yarn which, incidentally, is not available yet.
Ugh.
I have no idea what theme to go with whether it be going along the lines of Alaska, so thinking water, ice, cold, or something along the lines of one of Debbie's books like the new Rose Harbor series, or Love Letters, or going older with Blossom Street, or even Cedar Cove.
My original thought was to go with flowers and make flower medallions and attach them. But, after MANY attempts at this concept, I have scrapped the idea.
Today was a trip to Barnes and Noble to purchase some crocheting books in order to garner some ideas and get the thoughts flowing again. I came home with six books, which Daryn has informed me can be written off the taxes at the end of the year - YAY!
I have seen a couple things while flipping through the books while in the store, so now that I'm home I will sit down and look at them a little more closely. I really want to use beads in this shawl at some point. I think I have found a border that might work for that. However, before I can implement a border, I must find something to put the border around! I'm still toying with the idea of medallions. We shall see.
I wish I knew construction better. If I did I could use a set of stitches and make a triangular shawl and then attach the border. But, I am not accomplished at construction. May need to look that one up, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment