Thursday, March 17, 2011

Evyn's 14th Birthday

Evyn only had a couple of requests for his birthday, the rest we had to figure out on our own. Sadly, his Betta, pet fish, of four years, passed away on March 16. Wurple was purchased for a pet care requirement for Webelos when he was in Cub Scouts. It was very difficult for him to lose his fish. We had a proper burial and he is in a small Altoids tin next to Huckleberry (Evyn's gerbil) and Cedar (Ian's gerbil) under the lilac bushes out front.

After discovering Ethan has purchased him a new Betta (a Crowntail Betta), Amber presented him with glass marbles for the bottom of his tank. Something he had been interested in getting for Wurple. Then he opened the card from Grandma Val and Grandpa John ... a check and a magazine subscription renewal. He REALLY enjoys Kids National Geographic and reads it cover to cover each time he gets one.
As we weren't really going to celebrate until Saturday, I felt he had to have something to open on the day of his birthday. I found a pair of flannel house pants with shamrocks on them. (Incidentally, he still hasn't worn them yet. Hmmm .... )
I also got him a book on Betta care and some drops to add to the water in the fish's tank.
I also snuck a gift with me to band practice. When we were at Epcot (in Florida in January) I found some drum sticks when we went to England. I bought them with the intention of giving them to him for his birthday. He has enjoyed playing with them. The design on them is the Celtic Welsh dragon.
Not it is Saturday ... and we are giving him the rest of his gifties. Ian made him chocolate chip pancakes and I gave him a variety of game cards to the game he enjoys the most, Magic.
He had also, off-handedly, mentioned he needed new slippers. I was unable to find anything I liked and since we were doing a felted clog knit-along at the yarn shop, I felt they would be the perfect slipper. So, here they are, prior to being felted. I have ordered suede soles, too, to be sewn on after felting.
This is the Dungeons and Dragons cake Daryn, Amber and I made for him. None of the photos came out very well. The camera focused either close, or far, but didn't take an overall focus :( We rolled out vanilla fondant and had intentions of making a playing grid with licorice laces, but they didn't work very well. So, when we pulled them up, we still had the cut-in marks we had made. I said the players' grid was a snow scene (that works!). I was also have to find several players over the previous weeks and we gave him the players and the dragon, too. The dragon is guarding its horde of gold (chocolate coins).
However, we didn't want to put the candles on the D&D cake, so we took the leftover pieces we didn't use on the cake, frosted them, and put on 14 candles and told him this was all that was left of our endeavor. I don't think he was really fooled!
Here is his D&D cake. I think the grin says it all.
Do I get all the figures, too? Yup!

No comments:

Post a Comment