Thursday, June 10, 2010

Finishing one ... Beginning another

School year, that is.

We have nearly completed our school year. We have not taken any holiday breaks or other breaks and we are still at it. Very late start last year. The goal is to begin mid-August this year, take a break in December, and maybe a day here and there, but who knows.

Amber and Ethan have completed their requirements for the year. Ethan will resume sixth grade in August, and when he completes it, we'll round out the rest of the year with something else so he can begin 7th grade the following year. This puts him on track with his peers, and hopefully he'll have made a firm foundation and be more solid for the following year's curriculum.

Evyn finishes math today with his final exam. He has one week remaining in language and then he's completed his school year. I'm relieved he ends before the dance recital. No one needs to be working on school work during recital season. It's too difficult!

Ian, on the other hand, has about 2-3 weeks left in English/Grammar/World Lit. It seems there are 180 lessons for older kids vice the 170/171 the younger kids are assigned. He's also playing catch up as he neglected to complete some of the written assignments, which are now just beginning to trickle in. I found out he'd been skipping things and it had all snowballed on him. Of course, this doesn't just effect him, it effects me. I'm the one that has to preview and mark up all these works so he can move on to the next step. Easier when done in smaller doses when they were due, rather than all at once when trying to get other things done for other students!

I have Ethan working on scouting belt loops and pins, and activity pins/badges. He is behind in getting them done. I thought Daryn would have been able to work with him this past year, but little was done and I want him to be able to finish it all up so he can possibly move up during the
Blue and Gold ceremony in February. At this rate, that won't be happening. My goal is to really work with him this summer and crank out as many as we can.

Right now, sadly, Amber has no summer plans. Last year she had dance opportunities, as well as Yarn Camp at the local yarn shop. But, to date, there are no classes for her age group being offered at the dance studio, and the lady who held Yarn Camp last year, is not coming back or doing anything with the shop. She and I may have to just do something on our own. I'm thinking I want to learn how to dye yarn. We'll do our experimentation together! In the mean time, she can finish her knitting projects this summer, and she has several going!

No comments:

Post a Comment